Ruby on Rails Developer, Project Manager, Homebrewer
I am currently working full time in the ICT4G Unit of Fondazione Bruno Kessler as project manager and full-stack Ruby on Rails developer of BringTheFood, a mobile and web application to fight food waste. I have been also actively involved in managing a EU-funded mobility project with South Africa as well as in writing EU proposals.
I obtained my PhD degree from the University of Trento in April 2014 with a thesis on the development of a Maturity Model for ICT for Development projects. I received a double degree in Computer Science from Georgia Tech (Atlanta, GA) and the University of Trento (cum laude) in 2010.
what: An app for iOS and Android for food drive volunteers in oratories and a web application for food drive organizers.
who: Fondazione Banco Alimentare, LaFabbrica, mipaaf, Fondazione Bruno Kessler
A personal project
what: An offline app built for Chrome with Angular.js to manage GPS tracklogs recorded with V900/V990 Columbus Trackloggers and to geotag your photos. Just a project I work on in my spare time to learn Angular, Material Design and the Chrome API.
who: Just me :)
Project Manager and Lead developer
what: A web/mobile application to connect charities and food donors to find and organize the collection of excess food.
who: Fondazione Bruno Kessler (in collaboration with Fondazione Banco Alimentare)
Project Manager and Visiting Researcher
what: A researchers mobility project between Europe and South Africa on best practices for ICT projects in low-resource environments.
who: Fondazione Bruno Kessler, Fraunhofer FOKUS, Rhodes University, University of Fort Hare
where: Italy, South Africa, Germany
Maputo Living Lab (2011-2013)
Instructor and Summer School Coordinator
what: Stimulating local development through ICT training and ICT4D projects. I was involved in the organization and teaching activities of the Summer Schools of ICTs and Ruby on Rails.
who: The Autonomous Province of Trento, Fondazione Bruno Kessler and the Ministry of Science and Technology of Mozambique
where: Maputo (Mozambique)
Ruby on Rails developer (full stack) - my first RoR project
what: A mobile/webtool to collect data about various procurement indicators of primary schools in the Moamba district, a rural area of Mozambique.
who: The World Bank, Fondazione Bruno Kessler and the Ministry of Education of Mozambique
where: Moamba (Mozambique)
EC Ruby on Rails Developer Workshops
A series of developer workshops held in South Africa’s Eastern Cape at Fort Hare University, ECITI East London, SNII Media Centre Port Elizabeth. Website: http://ict4g.github.io/ror-ec-2014.
Maputo Living Lab Summer School of Ruby on Rails
Hands-on course on web application development with Ruby on Rails. All the course material is available under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License on Github.
Maputo Living Lab Summer School of ICTs
2011 and 2012
Hands-on lectures on Software Project Management, Agile Software development with Scrum, Software Architecture and Design with UML.
Case Studies (Master in eGovernment)
Instructor for the Case Studies course at the Professional Master in Technologies for eGovernment, University of Trento. Website: here
- Ciaghi, A. (2014). Standardizing ICT for Development: Towards the Definition of a Standard Process and Maturity Model for ICTD Projects (PhD thesis). Information and Communication Technology Doctoral School, University of Trento.
- Ciaghi, A., Villafiorita, A., & Dalvit, L. (2014). Understanding Best Practices for ICTD Projects: towards a Maturity Model. In J. Steyn & D. Van Greunen (Eds.), ICTs for inclusive communities in developing societies. Proceedings of the 8th International Development Informatics Association Conference (pp. 349–360).
- Ciaghi, A., Eshete, B., Molini, P., & Villafiorita, A. (2013). SAMo: experimenting a social accountability web platform. In Proceedings of the 3rd ACM Symposium on Computing for Development (p. 17). ACM.
- Ciaghi, A., Eshete, B., Molini, P., & Villafiorita, A. (2013). Social Accountability for Mozambique: An Experience Report from the Moamba District. In K. Jonas, I. A. Rai, & M. Tchuente (Eds.), e-Infrastructure and e-Services for Developing Countries (Vol. 119, pp. 189–198). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Ciaghi, A., Molini, P., Villafiorita, A., & Weldemariam, K. (2013). Maputo Living Lab Summer School of ICTs: an Experience Report. In P. Cunningham & M. Cunningham (Eds.), IST-Africa Conference Proceedings, 2013. IIMC International Information Management Corporation.
- Ciaghi, A., & Villafiorita, A. (2012). Law Modeling and BPR for Public Administration Improvement. Handbook Of Research on E-Government in Emerging Economies: Adoption, E-Participation, and Legal Frameworks, 391.
- Ciaghi, A., & Villafiorita, A. (2012). Crowdsourcing ICTD Best Practices. 3rd International Conference On E-Infrastructure and E-Services for Developing Countries, 167–176.
- Ciaghi, A., & Villafiorita, A. (2011). Improving Public Administrations via Law Modeling and BPR. 3rd International Conference On E-Infrastuctures and E-Services for Developing Countries, 69–78.
- Ciaghi, A., Weldemariam, K., & Villafiorita, A. (2011). Law Modeling with Ontological Support and BPMN: a Case Study. In CYBERLAWS 2011, The Second International Conference on Technical and Legal Aspects of the e-Society (pp. 29–34).
- Ciaghi, A., Dalla Valle, A., & Villafiorita, A. (2011). Adapting Software Metrics to Analyze the Evolution of Laws: an Italian Case Study. In Jurix 2011 Conference Proceedings. IOS Press.
- Ciaghi, A., Villafiorita, A., Chemane, L., & Macueve, G. (2011). Stimulating development through transnational Living Labs: The italo-Mozambican vision. In P. Cunningham & M. Cunningham (Eds.), IST-Africa Conference Proceedings, 2011 (pp. 1–8). IIMC International Information Management Corporation.
- Ciaghi, A., Mattioli, A., & Villafiorita, A. (2010). A tool supported methodology for BPR in Public Administrations. International Journal Of Electronic Governance, 3(2), 148–169.
- Ciaghi, A. (2010). Towards a Modeling Framework for Law-Making (Master's thesis). Università degli Studi di Trento.
- Ciaghi, A., Villafiorita, A., Weldemariam, K., Mattioli, A., & Phan, Q. S. (2010). Supporting Public Administration with an Integrated BPR Environment. First International Conference On E-Infrastructures and E-Services on Developing Countries, 50–59.
- Ciaghi, A., Villafiorita, A., & Mattioli, A. (2009). VLPM: a Tool to support BPR in Public Administration. In Digital Society, 2009. ICDS’09. Third International Conference on (pp. 289–293). IEEE.
- Ciaghi, A. (2007). Dalle Leggi ai Modelli: Strumenti e Metodologie (Bachelor’s Thesis). Università degli Studi di Trento.
Some other things I like to do
I started making my own beer in 2012 thanks to the suggestion of a dear friend. Nothing fancy (kit-based with some customizations) but it’s quite fun and rewarding. If you live in Northern Italy I can recommend Pinta.it to get started or get all the ingredients you need (they supply homebrewers as well as professional micro-breweries).
Living so close to the Alps, it is quite common to spend some time hiking. In the last years I ditched the “traditional” approach of heavy gear and heavy boots in favor of a more natural way of exploring our mountains. Long story short, now I’m one of those guys with the strange toe shoes. Want to find out more? Check out this blog (work in progress) by a friend of mine and myself.